Keepin' Track...

Thursday, January 20, 2011

The PLAN.

My plan of action is this:

I'm going to go with something I not only know works, but also something that's healthy. All the psycho diets, tricks & supplements are not for me. I'm aiming for overall HEALTH, not just trying to lose weight. Losing weight is definitely a huge part of gaining overall health & well being, but it's not the most important part. Not by a long shot.
So of all the diets, eating plans, etc. I've checked out, the most sensible is the South Beach diet. I'm not required to buy special product, starve myself or drink weird shit. Awesome. I won't die of a heart attack or get 'Atkins attitude' from completely depriving myself of carbs, either. XD

Several months ago, my Nurse Practitioner actually directed me to the SBD. She told me to just check it out & see what I thought about it. I'm hyper critical of all diet trends, and this was no exception. At first I wanted no part of it, as you almost totally cut out carbs for two weeks to kick the carb addiction. But then, as I read through the book that was written by the MD who came up with the idea for SBD, I changed my mind. Not all carbs are cut out, but only the bad ones. The human body needs carbs, but not the type or the massive amount most people, especially Americans, consume.
So I gave this way of eating a try for about two months along with exercise. There are three phases. Phase 1 lasts two weeks & is by far the toughest at first. I love pasta & bread... and to not be able to eat these things for two weeks seemed like torture.
About this time, I realized I was addicted to my carbs, so that gave me more will power to stick with my new way of eating. I lost about 35 lbs with my two weeks of Phase 1 & 6 weeks of Phase 2. And then I promptly fell of the wagon. Story of my life... le sigh.

So back onto a new wagon I climb. I'm taking the SBD principles & starting Phase 1 tomorrow (payday... as the only Phase 1 food I have in my house at the moment is almonds...), and between that & exercise, I know things will improve quickly. ^-^

I'm also going to ask my ARNP to up my dose of citalopram. When she & I talked last, she offered to raise the dose, but I declined, wanting to try adding exercise first. But I'm still having a hell of a time doing anything, especially getting to the gym. Or outside. Or... anything. She told me that even though I've noticed a change in my mood since starting my medication about a month & a half ago, if I'm not feeling 100%, there's still tweaking that needs to be done.

So, I'm going to call her now & then make a grocery list for tomorrow. ^-^

2 comments:

  1. ahhhhhhhh, the tweeking of meds....glorious isn't it (is my sarcasm coming through in the written form?) As a person with Soft Bipolar, I tweek and tweek and tweek.

    Perhaps you are a sufferer of SAD?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might like to look up sparkpeople. It's a diet website that I used to lose 43 lbs. It offers online support groups, helps you find weightloss buddies in your area, it has a nutrition tracker, and exercise tracker, tips, hints, motivations, it will work with any diet plan you can imagine, and it's completely 100% free, zero obligation.

    You have my sincerest wishes that you succeed in your endeavor to lose weight and get healthy. And it really does amazing things for your mental health too!

    ReplyDelete